Linux - Trust over IP

This looks like it has a lot of similarity to Co-op creds… https://www.trustoverip.org/
there’s a useful interactive infographic here too Infographic

1 Like

Yes! Co-op Creds is a co-op specific implementation of the exact model and technology, i.e. Verifiable Credentials, that the ToIP foundation promotes. Yes, that infographic is nice

@Nick_M We should consider getting involved with them. These are their current working groups

In addition to TOIP, see
DIF
Open ID Foundation

@osb @angus in a way, we are already involved with TOIP indirectly through the key individuals who are our friends at w3c ccg which is open to anyone, and is technically-focused. I’m still on the mailing list and count myself a part of the Sovrin Foundation / Sovrin Governance Framework Working Group which was the start of a lot of all these broader, fantastic initiatives to make SSI inter-operate at a global scale and thereby ‘fix identity on the internet’ for all in a more human and privacy-respecting way. Here’s a nice article that positions some of the history and the ambition:

Yes it would be a good idea to sign up with them and participate formally. It’s free. It would also be a good idea to join DIF (Decentralised Identity Foundation), an organisation with similar ambitions - I have discussed use-cases and technology in their sessions too. Kristina (see below) is a contact.

The other important body, with all the links into ‘mainstream’ federated identity is the OpenID Foundation. We should join them too. They are doing important practical work on standards that make it easy to sign on with SSI anywhere (for example, use a coop credential / ‘vc passport’ to sign in to any service with oauth2 / oidc). https://openid.net/wordpress-content/uploads/2021/09/OIDF_OIDC4SSI-Update_Kristina-Yasuda-Torsten-Lodderstedt.pdf

One reservation is that there is a lot of meeting and participation overhead in joining all these groups simultaneously for our limited resources. We also need to settle on a common legal entity to use to do that. It could be one that we set up, or it could be a part of PCC perhaps?

In the meantime we have an ‘I’m not on it, but I know someone who is’ strategy. We’re fortunate to have the support of the w3c as the ‘apex’ technical organisation in this and to have worked with the authors of some of the key specs.

We need to pick and choose which of these areas we work in, and as a co-operative movement, in solidarity, we can punch above our weight and counteract some of the commercial, corporate interests that operate in these groups and claim to represent ’ the voice of the market’ or the ‘voice of the consumer’ **.

By contrast, if we can focus on our own co-operative agenda and priority use cases, at scale, we can get this working faster, for real co-operators. Through the enthusiastic support of W3C and individuals in these groups we can make things happen faster for co-ops, yet keep aligned with the global standards.

Any individual small co-op facing this jungle of standards-making today might be tempted to just give up and fall back on web2 federated identity management (GAFA-dominated) and email address shovelling (spam/hack ridden) simply because of the complexity and time it takes. Meanwhile we’re here in Coop Credentials to help and collaborate in advice and help, collective standards choice, use-case definition and delivery in open-source code creation… and maybe aligned choice and governance of platform / service provision too.

** this is NOT to suggest the individual working level representatives from corporates at these groups are behaving disingenuously, it’s just to say that consumers and co-ops are under-represented.

2 Likes